Friday, June 27, 2014

Fridays are for thrifting...

So I recently got rid of about 70% of my closet. I've "grown up" fashion wise, and needed a change. I realized that the majority of my closet didn't make me feel great, or even good. I was in the rut of buying clothes just because they were on sale. Or buying clothes that were to big or small thinking I could "make them work" (I'm no Tim Gunn!), or buying clothes just for the sake of buying them so my closet would look more full. I was buying clothes that I didn't love, I was buying clothes that didn't look good on me, or flatter my body or skin type. So I went through my closet and was brutally honest. I got rid of a lot of things that I liked, but knew I would never wear (mostly because they were way to big or way to small). I took my purged clothes to a thrift shop that I consign with so I could make some money to put towards my new collection.
That brings me to this thrift haul. Now that my closet is mostly empty (I only kept what I really, really love and what looks good and fits), I need to start rebuilding my fashion collection. Most people would go to their local department store, but I turn to my local thrift shops instead. I've always had a love for thriting. It's a treasure hunt, you never know what you'll find. I've gotten everything from vintage Dior to Gucci. I love it, plus it's loads cheaper then "normal" stores. And what's more bitchy then getting a great deal? 
With my new mantra in mind (only buy what I love, what fits, and what makes me feel good), I headed to the thrift shops.

First up the consignment shop (where I take all my items I no longer want). I only found one blouse, but I love it. It's an New York & Company sheer blouse. I like it because it's a neutral color, and I can dress it up and down. Since it's sheer, I can wear it in the summer, and since it has long sleeves, it can transition into the winter. I paid $2.81.


I also went to a local thrift shop where the proceeds benefit charity. I only found one top, but I really loved the fit and the detailing on the shoulder. I also love that since it's strips, it's more of a classic piece that can be worn for years without looking dated. It was half off, so I paid $1.50



I found the best deals at Goodwill. As soon as I walked toward the store, they had this blouse hanging in the window. I am a huge lover of Asian fashion. I grabbed it out of the window, and immediatley saw the Chinese fashion tag! I was thrilled! I live in hicksville where people don't have much of an open mind when it comes to fashion. The edge of the ribbon has frayed a little bit, but that's an easy fix.  I paid $6 (my goodwill has really raised the prices on clothes in the last few months).



I was holding my breath, thinking how cool it would be to find one more Asian piece of fashion. As I pawed through the racks of clothes, one piece jumped out at me. And yep, it was another Chinese fashion brand! Score! I love the top, but I'm not thrilled with the ruffles. I mean it's adorable, but just doesn't flatter my body shape. I saw that the ruffles can be easily ripped out, so I went ahead and got it. I love the detailing around the neck line and the vintage look and feel of the lace. This was also $6.



I then saw this top. I immediately thought Pinterest where I've seen many looks with this style shirt. How cute would it be with some casual jeans, cute flats, and a messy bun? Plus the fit is great, and I like having more casual clothes that I can throw on while running errands or going out to a casual lunch with friends. I also got this for $6 (what's with $6 for a tshirt?!)


I saved the best deal (money wise) for last. I picked up this Cynthia Rowley tunic style blouse for guess how much? You guessed it, lucky number 6. Her tops and blouses generally retail for $250-$290. So paying $6 wasn't to bad! I love that all the beading is intact, none of it is coming loose. I also love that the beading acts as it's own accessory, so you don't need a lot of jewelry. 



So all together, for 6 pieces of clothing, I spent less then $30. Honestly I would have been a bit happier spending a little less, but over all, I must say I did pretty well. 











3 comments:

  1. wow i need to do the same thing I find so very cute things at TS, very cute stuff I were all the the thing you just bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to charity shops where I live. It's very rare I find some cool things though to be honest. I do love having a good look around though because you never know :).

    Gem x
    gemsi2011.blogspot.com
    @GemsGemz86

    ReplyDelete